The government of India has proved to be a catalyst in the growth of the digital payments ecosystem in the form of modernization of payment infrastructure, digital literacy and offering ease of setting up a business. The government pushed a surge of digital inclusion in the country with subsidies, programs and incentives including:
- BHIM cashback and referral bonus scheme1.
- Subsidy on digital payments, in the form of 10% discount on payments for rail tickets, highway toll fees and insurance policies2.
- Facilitating UPI transactions to accept payments without any MDR (Merchant Discount Rate)3.
- Service Tax exemption for different categories4.
- Launch of e-wallet services by different states (T-wallet by Telangana5, Bhamashah wallet6 by Rajasthan, etc.)
- Launch of NCMC (National Common Mobility Card) for toll and transit payments7.
- Mandating FASTags for all vehicles for highway toll collection8.
- Issuance of virtual payment addresses by India Post Payments bank.
- DigiDhan Abhiyaan, the outreach campaign enrolling over one crore rural citizens for digital payment methods9.
- Interoperability between digital payment wallets10.
- Digital literacy programs including Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan11, Lucky Grahak Yojana, Digi-Dhan Vyapar Yojana, DigiVaarta12, etc.
- Funds transfer facility through NEFT around the clock on all days including weekends and holidays13.
: Launch of Referral and Merchant Cashback scheme for BHIM users, NPCI, June 2017
: India’s discounts for online payments a global first, Livemint, December 2016
: No extra charge on digital payments via RuPay, UPI from Jan, The Hindu, Dec 2019.
 No service tax on credit, debit card transactions up to ₹2,000, TheHinduBusinessLine, Jan 2018
 T Wallet- Anytime Anywhere digital payment option for Everyone, Government of Telangana, July 2019
 Bhamashah Wallet, Inc42, August 2018
 National Common Mobility Card, Press Information Bureau, July 2019
 FASTag to be mandatory from December 15, EconomicTimes, November 2019
 DigiDhan Abhiyan, Digital India, January 2017
 RBI releases norms for facilitating money transfer among e-wallets, EconomicTimes, October 2018
 Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan, Digital India, January 2018
 DigiVaarta to popularize Digital Payments, Press Information Bureau, September 2018
 Transfer money via NEFT 24×7 from Dec 16, EconomicTimes, December 2019